Emergency Preparedness for People with Access and Functional Needs, Including Disabilities (UCONN UCEDD)
The UCONN Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities has developed a curriculum on emergency preparedness through a grant from the Connecticut Council on Developmental Disabilities. The goal of the project was to assist municipalities in creating/updating their town's emergency preparedness plan so that needs of citizens with developmental disabilities are addressed and to assist people with developmental disabilities in creating their own emergency plans.
UC UCEDD, as part of the Ohio Disability and Health Program, in partnership with the American Red Cross, offers Disaster & Preparedness Training for People with Disabilities & Their Caregivers, a daylong training session to explore individual needs, regional resources, and emergency preparedness. So far more than 200 people have received this potentially life-saving training.
Location: Washington, DC
The 2015 AUCD Conference will be held at the Washington, DC, Renaissance Hotel.
- Emergency Preparedness for Persons with Disabilities and Special Needs
- Evacuating Populations with Special Needs - Routes to Effective Evacuation Planning Primer Series
Nobody Left Behind: Disaster Preparedness for Persons with Mobility Impairments
- Preparing for Disaster for People with Disabilities and other Special Needs
Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act: Questions and Answers
Comprehensive Preparedness Guide 301 for Special Needs Populations
- Disaster Preparedness and People with Complex Communication Needs (CCN) Website
- ADA Guidelines from the U.S. Department of Justice on Sheltering for Mass Care
- Working with People with Disabilities- A Guide for Responders
"Ready" Instructional Videos from the US Department of Homeland Security
- Accommodating People with Disabilities in Disasters: A Reference Guide to Federal Law
Amendments to the Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act
Text of the amendments to the Stafford Act of the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Bill for FY 2007 (HR 5441).
Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Bill Talking Points
CCD Emergency Management Task Force talking points on the disability-specific provisions of the Pos- Katrina Emergency Management Reform Bill.ccd emergency mgmt reform act talking points 092106.doc [download]